Family & Friends Word Wall

Thursday, April 2, 2020
Write out all the letters of the alphabet (uppercase & lowercase) and make sure there’s some space below each letter. Print pictures of your family members, pets, and friends and you’re ready to go (I added them all to a word document and made them smaller so I only printed a few pages). You can have your child first cut the pictures out if you want. I did it myself because there were some group pictures that I had to cut out multiple people from and knew that would get interesting if I let Austin do it. Next make a pile of the pictures and let your child pick one up, say the name (Brooklyn loved helping with this part), match it to the letter the name starts with and paste! Once all the pictures are up, I wrote every name next to it just like a word wall. I think I’m going to keep this up for the entire time we are quarantining! It brings a smile to my face when I walk by it because we miss our extended family and friends so much right now! 

Bonus Activity

 Hide the pictures around the house first and have your child go find them! 

Bonus Activity 2

Add high frequency words that are age appropriate for your child to the word wall to make it a mix between friends/family and a traditional word wall. 

💜WHY?

This will be a meaningful activity for your child because each photo will be someone that he/she loves. Austin (almost 5) loved it so much he asked if I could print a different picture of every single person and pet for him later (probably not happening😉). This activity is an opportunity to match pictures to the beginning letter sounds. Word walls in general serve so many purposes. When they are left up, they promote independence in writing and reading. They are great for visual learners and help support the teaching of the words that are up! Those are just a few benefits of word walls! 

No comments