Sponge Boats

Tuesday, June 9, 2020




Add a little STEM challenge to your water play! ⠀
💦I took some new sponges and cut them in half. I gave my kids the sponges, some umbrella toothpicks (totally optional), and these little colored play jewels we have. I challenged them to make sponge boats and see how many jewels they could balance on each one in the water before sinking or tipping over. Bear counters, legos, pom poms, or anything else small like that could also work! ⠀
💦I watched my kids try positioning the umbrellas on different spots on the sponge, not using an umbrella on one, using two umbrellas on one, and trying so many different ways to balance the most jewels. When the boats sank, my kids squeezed the water out of the sponge and tried again!⠀





Stay at Home Activity Mom is a participant in the Amazon Series LLC Associates Program, 
an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees 
by advertising and linking to Amazon.com.
I get commissions for purchases made through links in this post. 


💜Besides being so much fun, there are also so many ways to extend the play too: ⠀
▪️Use tweezers to pick up the jewels⠀
▪️Make predictions before experimenting with how many jewels can fit on the boat before sinking⠀
▪️Talk about why the jewels sink by themselves but float on the sponge⠀
💜I know I’ve said this before😉. I’m a big supporter of STEM challenges for kids (science, technology, engineering, math). Incorporating simple and engaging challenges like this into play will encourage problem solving skills and creativity! ⠀
💦Do you think your children would have fun with this?💦⠀

No comments