Shape Hunt

Tuesday, June 23, 2020




🔺Shape Hunt🔺⠀
Brooklyn’s working on learning basic shapes, so I set up this simple shape scavenger hunt on the floor right next to the playroom. ⠀
🖤 On a big piece of paper I made 4 sections and drew the shapes and wrote the names of circle, square, triangle and rectangle. I asked Brooklyn (2.5) to search around the playroom for things of each shape and place it in that section. And for a mom hack that I totally added into the activity...I also told her if she picked up something that wasn’t one of those shapes, she had to put it back in the playroom in its right place🙌🏻 and she did without any complaints! 🥳🤣⠀
❤️This simple activity had Brooklyn moving around, working on her classifying, sorting and matching (such important early math skills), and shape recognition. While she played and we talked, I casually mentioned and would point out how many lines, sides and/or corners the shapes had. The former elementary school teacher in me couldn’t help but sprinkle a little content specific academic language used when learning about shapes in early elementary.😉 While I don’t expect her to understand those concepts yet, I feel like there’s no harm in exposing her to it in a very non-threatening way😊 She even asked to help me count the lines on one of the shapes and did it correctly!⠀
If your child is still in the beginning stages of identifying shapes, you might want to first do this activity by putting out items of the different shapes for your child to sort instead of a hunt. 

No comments