Magnet Math

Tuesday, June 23, 2020


➕Magnet Math➕⠀
I set this activity up for Austin and he did it while I made breakfast the other day. He was entertained and engaged and said he loved the activity (he does say that a lot though 😉). ⠀
I got the idea to use painter’s tape for matching activities by @teachtalkinspire! ⠀
💜On the tape I wrote simple math addition problems. I brought out my dollar store baking sheets and put the tape on the sheet leaving space for the answer. I gave Austin (5) number magnets and bear counters (which he decided he didn’t need to use). He solved the addition problems and searched for the correct number magnet to answer. So simple and he thought it was so fun! ⠀
🖤Although Austin felt he didn’t need them, math manipulatives (the bear counters in this activity) help make abstract ideas more concrete and help make math more fun and hands-on. This activity is also an easy way to make solving and learning addition more enjoyable. Hands-on learning has so many benefits and can lead to a deeper understanding of the content!⠀
💜This activity has so many variations for playing! Here are a few ideas:⠀
▪️addition, subtraction, multiplication or division problems can be done ⠀
▪️draw dots, tally marks, objects on the tape and match the number magnets ⠀
▪️fill in the missing number (ex: 1, 2, __, 4, 5) ⠀
I can’t wait to see you all try it!

No comments